Senator Byrd: I looked through the List[s] of Contents for all the submissions to Senator Kennedy to verify that he has copies of everything now being sent to the Archbishop of Canterbury except for these things prepared since my last submission to him on December 17, 1986, and i'm enclosing here only copies of things he doesn't have or i didn't ask the Mulroney Government to provide the White House with copies of unless they are so evidently crucial--to make sure you do not underestimate the "influence" i seem to have presently--that copies should be included here for that purpose.
The list attached to the statement to you explains how each item given to the Anglican Church was sent and Acknowledgements of Receipt are provided where warranted.
I have the acknowledgements or receipts (some acknowledgements were left by me in Ottawa) for the things i included excerpts from in the submission to Mikhail Gorbachev.
I'm mentioning this because copies of all acknowledgements are to be included in the forthcoming registered letter to "The Non-Aligned News Services Pool" (c/o "TANJUG").
1) three-page statement to U.S. Senator Robert C. Byrd, dated December 24, 1986 with these attachments:
2) copy of the December 24, 1986 statement to Representative Jim Wright; with List of Contents for the submission attached to the face and with attachments according to it provided.
3) copy of the December, 1986 statement to President Ronald Reagan.
4) copy of the December 17, 1986 statement to Senator Edward Kennedy; with List of Contents for the submission attached to the face.
5) copy of the March 10, 1986 statement to Mr. Ian Gill, "Centre for Investigative Journalism".
6) copy of the August, 1986 statement to Mr. Clovis Maksoud, "The Arab League"; with List of Contents for the recommended submission attached to the face.
7) copy of the September 14, 1986 statement to Mr. Ian Gill, "Centre for Investigative Journalism"; with List of Contents for the submission attached to the face.
8) copy of the December, 1986 statement to Archbishop of Canterbury Robert Runcie.
9) copy of the December, 1986 statement to Mr. Terry Waite.
10) copy of the December 24, 1986 statement to the Most Reverend M.G. Peers, Primate of the Anglican Church of Canada; with List of Contents for the submission attached to the face.
11) copy of the December, 1986 statement to Pope John Paul II.
12) copy of the "Umpire's Decision", dated February 24, 1983 on the face.
13) copy of the 29 August 1986 letter from "Desmond Johannesburg".
14) copy of the March 26, 1984 letter from the Office of the (former) Prime Minister of Canada.
Senator Byrd: Christmas rushing made It difficult for me to get the registered letter to Jim Wright ready for mailing today, so rather than risk a mistake, i'll be sending it on December 27, 1986.
I'll ask him to provide you with a List of Contents for it.